Thursday 8 November 2012

TAST2012 - Week 45

We have reached week 45, oh, it proves we are nearing the end of this year's TAST project. Luckily, thanks to Sharon's generosity, we will continue to learn in 2013 as well. The tempo and how it is presented will change slightly, but the teaching will go on.

Now, for week 45 and its Open Based Needlewoven Picot stitch, Sharon lent me her 'Running Fingers'. This is a pun on 'Stitching Fingers', the showcase we use for our work. If you haven't visited, please do so,  to see lots of beautiful work.

With those 'Running Fingers' I worked hard and completed my piece early yesterday afternoon, 36 hours after I had first read the instructions! I had time to sleep, too!

Before I go on, I would like to say THANK YOU to all those who kindly left comments on my work last week. The Picot stitch is so inspiring and it was difficult to decide what to do with it, that is why I had three pictures, the corn cob, the sandals and the bush. The versatility of the stitch was proven by all others who used the stitch in many other fantastic ways.

So what to do for week 45, the Closed Base and the Open Base Needlewoven picots being so similar? Well, I have a dear friend, Jacquie Harvey, who is an accomplished and ribbon bedecked hand quilter, have a look for yourself, here. When she saw the stitch she said: 'I suppose it could be used for baskets'. Well, of course it can! My first choice was therefore to make a basket with plants:


Before I started stitching, though,  I thought of Jacquie and her dressmaking skills. The Festive Season is coming soon. How about making an evening gown? Would that be possible with this stitch? There is only one way to find out, give it a try!


This is what I ended up with.

I made two Open Based Picots for the bodice, three each for the skirt, the basket, the leaves and the flower. Most of them are fastened to the background fabric.

Materials used: Old sheet for background, Pearl cotton 5 for the gown, Stranded floss for the pedestal, basket and flower, rayon for the leaves, metallic quilting thread for the shoulder straps and hanger's hook, old scrap of ribbon for the hanger and sash, beads for buttons and floral centre.

I thought I'd show you how I managed to weave the plant without snagging the basket. I inserted a piece of paper between the basket and the new stitch:



It made the stitching fast and hassle free.

I bet there will be many fantastic things to see so check out the comments on Sharon's blog.

Happy stitching to you all!








26 comments:

Lakshmi said...

What a great idea Queenie..I just the gown you made.. thanks for tip..it will great help to me as well..thnak you

latha said...

Very well done queenie...Great idea!!! Night gown is stitched beautifully!!! colour , embellishment ,all look awesome. This is going to be the number one in this week's highlight.Congrats!.

margaret said...

you really have excelled this time Queenie, who would have thought of a dress and the flower pot is also a work of art.

City Krafters said...

Fantastic stitching thank you for sharing the stitch and how you weave.
Well done

crazyQstitcher said...

Many fantastic things to see? Well I begin with both of yours Queenie. I thought the basket of leaves and flower so neat and lovely and then saw that gorgeous evening frock.
It is FABULOUS! The variegated thread enhances it too.
Beautifully done.

Claudia said...

Queenie, this is soooooo fantastic! I love all your embroideries,this is very special! Thanks for sharing!

Marjolein said...

Oh dear, this is really gorgeous, terrific, wonderful etc.
A basket, that is something I could have thought of too, but an evening gown.....

Annet said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how you made the leaves in the basket, great idea!

Debbie said...

Oh, my! These are amazing, Queenie! I can see how it took 36 hours, LOL. We can tell you were having fun with this.

libbyquilter said...

what a fabulous creative mind you have~! and then there's those extraordinary stitching skills~! the basket is great and i love the plants cascading over it's edges and the dress is amazing in every detail.

thank you for the tip on making the weaving a bit easier. i did have some problems even though i used a blunt needle so was happy to see how i might avoid that in the future.

:-)
libbyQ

Kathy said...

So delightful! It belongs in an embroidery show.

Lins Artyblobs said...

What a lot of lovely stitching, the basket and contents are adorable.

Mrs. B. said...

Once again you've produced some fabulous stitching. The basket works so well, and I love the gown.

Raphaela said...

This is amazing. Great idea.

Suztats said...

So inventive, and wonderfully created!

Isabelle said...

When I saw this gorgeous dress, i was sure that Sharon choose it for her highlights. And here it is !
I could not imagine this stitch can be used in a so wonderfull manner. and your tip with the piece of paper will be very helpful for me. when I stitch on felt, I have alway problems with the fibers. Thanks a lot

Lyndsey said...

Beautiful stitching as always. The basket is lovely and that gown looks magnificent.

Laurel said...

Queenie - This is fantastic! You inspire all of us!

magicmoonmusings said...

Exquisite. This is hugely inspiring, I can't stop looking and looking at this beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing this!

carorose said...

Just wonderful, They are inspiring.

Angela Grasse said...

Oh my gosh! You are so clever!!!!

crazypatch said...

Superbe... tu en a des idées. merci pour le conseil pour tisser plus facilement

Iris said...

What a great idea ! I would never imagine a dress...

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely stunning!
Cheers Judy

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Absolutely beautifully stitched dress, basket and flowers and such great ideas for this stitch!

Angela said...

So clever! thanks for sharing that idea!