Tuesday 7 May 2013

A Change of Decoration

The Children's Day is over and all decorations related to it have been packed away. The Koinobori (Flying Carp) quilt has been replaced with a small 50x50 cm quilt I made for the Yokohama International Quilt Week's Miniature contest in 2001.


On a trip earlier that year to the island of Shikoku I had bought a small pack of fabric from the island. Some of the pieces are the very attractive Awa Shijira-ori which is woven in Tokushima prefecture. It is a kind of seer-sucker often used for summer wear and yukata.
I mixed in other Japanese fabrics, as well as a piece from a Swedish table cloth. True to form, there is (a lot of) embroidery, and in metallic thread.

The title of the quilt is Naruto-no-maki and illustrates the fantastic whirlpools in the Naruto Strait that I saw on my trip.

9 comments:

carorose said...

That is such a good idea, changing your display. And I love the quilt. I tend to put things away or give them away. I think I will reconsider my approach.

Queeniepatch said...

It's a bit like turning a page of the wall calendar. Also, whenever I take out an old quilt I give it a proper look and notice things I had forgotten or how much my taste or skill has changed.

Julie Fukuda said...

Fantastic! I love the combination of fabric and the creative design.

margaret said...

this is a great piece Queenie and love the splash of red in it.

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

I too love the idea of a display that rotates with seasons and occasions. This little quilt is just beautiful - I love everything about it from the patched blue background to the swirls, to the stitching, to the striped binding. The combination of patchwork and applique, etc. The more I look at it the more I like it!

Queeniepatch said...

This quilt was fun to make and holds so many memories.

Queeniepatch said...

You have an eye for the beautiful, Margaret. The red is indeed a nice splash of colour.

Queeniepatch said...

It is so enjoyable to read your comments as you notice so much in what you see. No wonder your friends want to go to quilt shows or on outings together with you.

Lis Harwood said...

A lovely quilt and with those memories too. How your embroidery has changed and developed since 2001, it seems far more understated on Naruto-no-maki than on your more recent work and now you have a massive library of stitches. So interesting to see.