Sunday 9 November 2014

22nd International Quilt Week Yokohama, 2014 - part 2

In my last post you saw flowers and animals on quilts.
They featured on the bags as well as you will see in this post!

Almost every quilt magazine or book published in Japan include instructions for a bag, and you can always spot a number of patchwork bags carried around at the show. This is therefore a popular category of the quilt contest.
Taupe bags by 赤平昭子 Kazuko Akahira
Colourful bag by 飯田奈緒美 Naomi Iida

Dogs also made their appearance on the bags, these three won the quilter a ribbon.
横山幸美 Yukimi Yokoyama

This was not found on a bag but on another popular category,

wearable quilts:
Made by Kim Su Jin (Korea)

 May I present the Best in Show?
A pink Mt Fuji can be seen peeping through a mass of clouds. My guess is that the clouds are made up of cotton fabric for summer kimonos, aka yukata.
吉田寿恵 Kotoe Yoshida

The winning quilt among the Traditional quilts was this red jewel in machine quilting. Who wouldn't want to have such a quilt as a bedcover in December?
池敬子 Keiko Ike

A prize was also awarded to this Korean quilter
The beautiful machine quilting/embroidery made this quilt look almost like a gigantic photograph.
Chang Mi Sun (Korea)

This quilt was made by 16 high school students - and maybe their teacher?
As you can see Mt Fuji is popular with everyone, and cherry blossoms, and cats, and green tea ...

These towers are not as high as Mt Fuji but cleverly made out of string and fusable web!



竹脇章子 Akiko Takewaki

This quilt was also in the Contemporary category, and made out of unusual material, too - woven rags of indigo.


杉山美紀江 Mikie Sugiyama

If there had been a Visitors' Choice, this stunning quilt would have got a high score. There were always crowds of people enjoying the beautiful sky and marvelling at the use of material.

 島田清子 Kiyoko Shimada

Like this man, I needed some time to see the 'point' of this quilt, called New York.
 The 'point' is of course that you can make a quilt of something you see every day as you open the door of your apartment. Check out the work put into making the wall paper, below.
森村悦子 Etsuko Morimura

In my next blog post I will show you some of the Traditional quilts, as well as the ones with a Japanese theme.


12 comments:

Annet said...

So many pretty quilts, very inspiring! Love the embroidered wall paper.

Julie Fukuda said...

I love your close up and personal views. You saw a lot more in some of those quilts than I did! Great post.

Queeniepatch said...

It must have taken quite some time to 'wall paper' the quilt!

Queeniepatch said...

I am sure you, too, saw a lot more in some quilts than I did. That is why it is both fun and educational to visit a show together.
It was a breeze to write these blogposts thanks to the Japanese names being written in both kanji and Roman letters on the labels next to the quilts. I want to say THANK YOU to the IQWY organisers for improving the service! In previous years I have spent hours and hours checking dictionaries (and disturbing family members) for the right characters and reading.

Pamela said...

Thank you again for sharing with us!

carorose said...

Oh those dogs on the bags. They are adorable.

Queeniepatch said...

You're welcome!
I wish you had been here with us to see the quilts 'in the flesh'.
Actually, there is a show by the same organisers, held in Sapporo each year, in the middle of May. There is no information on the website yet, but you can check it out later on http://viq.com

Queeniepatch said...

You would love leafing through all the quilt magazines in Japan and spotting dogs, cats, flowers and other adorable things on bags!

margaret said...

so many wonderful quilts the one that amazed me most was the staircase and I also loved the bags (not the dog ones being frightened of dogs)

Queeniepatch said...

The staircase quilt also grew on me; at first I did not like it but then I joined the man and looked at it for a long time and saw the beauty.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I'm having a catch up evening, had visitors so not had a chance to check your blog....and I seem to have missed a lot! The wall looks very interesting.

Queeniepatch said...

I wrote three blog posts in a short time so it is easy to miss.
Every time I look at the photograph of The Wall I like it more and more! I don't know why it was so uninteresting to me at first - maybe I was standing too close and could not take it in...